Dadap is often used as a shade tree in the garden or for tree propagation for pepper, betel, vanilla, or tubers. Also used as living fence poles in the yard.
Dadap or Dapdap Bali is a kind of tree in the Fabaceae (Leguminosae) family. Plants are often used as a living fence and shade; they have many other names in Indonesia. They called it Cangkringan, Dadap Ayam, Dadap Laut, Dadap Blendung, Theutheuk, Dalungdung, Deris, Galala Itam, and others. And known also in neighboring countries.
This plant produces light wood that is soft and white. It's good to make a float by packing crates, frames, and toys. The wood is also a pulp material, but it is poorly used as a wood fire as it is smoky.
Not only that, young leaves are very useful or beneficial for humans. The composition contained in the leaves of dadap consists of alkaloids, eritradina, eritrina, eritramina, hipaforina, and erisovina. Bitter taste, it is cool, and it can clean the blood. Because of it, leaves of dadap are often used to increase the amount of mother's milk produced. Can also make you sleep better. The flower is used to launch the menstruation period. While dadap seeds are presumably toxic.
The benefits and usefulness of Dadap, who lives around the house in Bali, for the treatment of human health include, among others:
- Smooth the Mother Milk Produced: Dadap young leaves can be used as a nutritious vegetable to augment breast milk, making babies sleep more soundly, and also for launching the menstruation period.
- Treating worms and dysentery: an extract of Dadap leaves mixed with honey can be used to treat intestinal worms, and Dadap leaf juice mixed with castor oil (kasteroli) is used to cure dysentery.
- Relieve arthritis: heated Dadap leaves are used as a poultice to relieve rheumatism. The bark of dadap has efficacy as a laxative and urine and sputum diluent.
- Abdominal Pain: Smooth mashed fresh leaves (Dadap and Cocor Bebek leaf) and add a little water. Then apply to the abdomen and repeat every 3 hours. Is believed to cure stomach pains, runny stools, and bloody diarrhea.
- Fever: Dadap can be used as a febrifuge by compressing the smooth leaf.
- Preventing Miscarriage: Dadap leaves can be used to prevent miscarriage, by compressing the abdomen with dadap leaves.
- Swelling: A few Dapdap leaves are pounded, smearing the body that is swollen. Do it repeatedly and evenly.
- Sweet leaf juice is used for diseases caused by tapeworms and roundworms. The juice also helps stimulate lactation and menstruation.
For the Hindu community in Bali, tree dadap is certainly very useful as part of the offerings, ritual supplies, and basic manufacture of shrines (merajans or temples). Therefore, the functionality and usability Dadap, or dapdap, or dedap for Hindus, is very important. Then this plant is called magic wood (Kayu Sakti) in Bali.
Watch here in the below YouTube video player. Wonderful Indonesia and Bali Island are favorite destinations in the world. A journey that'll last forever in your memory. Bali will provide you with countless unforgettable moments. Come to the Island of the Gods and enjoy sensational vibrations!
Dadap leaves can be made juice or loloh (in Bali language).